Monday, February 8, 2021

Jimmy Howard: Recent Additions

Now that Jimmy Howard is officially retired from the NHL, I can focus on the cards he already has out there and not worry about too many new ones. I don't see myself slowing down on this project at all and I've been on a good run of new Howard pickups lately.

While most of them have come from eBay, I made use of another great site again recently: Sportlots. I've made a few purchases there before and everything has gone smoothly. This time I found a great deal and grabbed eight new cards for just over $4 including shipping.

Up first is my favorite of the lot, a black parallel from 2013-14 Score. This is one of those hard to find parallels that I have only ever seen only once or twice since its release. For what essentially turned out to be $0.50, I couldn't put this in the cart fast enough.


The next one is a really cool base card that I've had on the want list for years now. This is card #56 from 2013-14 SPx. I always like getting cards that show Howard in his ice berg pads, those were sweet. I just wish they would've used a different picture on the right.


Fast forward to 2020-21 and we have a base card from MVP. This one will go nicely with the Super Script and Black Super Script that I already have. Now I just need to work on getting a few other versions to give myself another complete rainbow.


Sticking with MVP, up next is base card from 2019-20. If I had to choose, I would give a slight edge to the more recent design, but this one is still pretty nice. The neat thing about this one is it shows one of Howard's Hockey Fights Cancer masks.

Speaking of rainbows I'm working on, this base card from 2014-15 O-Pee-Chee Platinum gets me one step closer to one that I really want to complete. We'll see though, the Golden Treasures 1/1 seems pretty unlikely for me to land at this point, but who knows.

One thing that I don't have a ton of in my Howard collection is cards showing him with the Grand Rapids Griffins of the AHL. This one is from 2011-12 ITG Heroes and Prospects helps add to that total. I actually really like the look of the design of this set.

Up next is a base card from 2019-20 O-Pee-Chee, which has a special notation about his appearance in the 2019 All Star game. That was his second appearance and third time being voted into the game. This one also has a few parallel versions for me to chase.


The last one from Sportlots is a base card from 2019-20 Parkhurst. A quick check of TCDB shows there are likely four other versions of this card for me to chase now: Silver, Gold, ePack Bronze and ePack Gold. Five cards total doesn't seem too bad.



These next two are courtesy of @BreaksRaccoon from Twitter. They were nice enough to reach out and send me a couple of new base cards for my Howard collection. Up first is card #185 from 2018-19 MVP. I actually like this version of MVP with all the lines.


The other was card #82 from 2018-19 O-Pee-Chee. This is the regular base version. I now need to track down the other eight versions: Silver, Gold, Red, Red Blank Back, Retro, Retro Blank Back, Retro Black, Retro Scratch-Off. Those would all look good together.


So that's ten new cards for my Howard collection, which puts me somewhere north of 200. Exactly where, I am not completely sure. I will need to do an actual re-count of everything one of these days. Even at 200+ cards, I still love finding new ones for this project.

4 comments:

  1. Outside of Owen Nolan... I don't think I own more than 200 copies of any other hockey player. Congratulations on adding ten new Howards to your collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      200 Nolan's, that's awesome. I bet he's got some really cool looking 90's and early 00's inserts and parallels.

      Delete
  2. These are all good cards, but the Score you led off with I'd say is the most impressive. A great photo, and I've never actually seen a black parallel in hand, which makes it even more unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is one of my favorite Howard base card photos.

      I think the black is my favorite of the parallels from that year's Score set, although the red border works quite well with the Red Wings cards. Still need that one and the red back parallel.

      Delete