Sunday, July 20, 2014

Red Wings: Card Show Pickups (90's and 00's)

In addition to the Howard cards and the goaltending gallimaufry stuff, I was able to grab quite a few new cards for my Red Wings collection at the last Gibraltar show a few weeks back. All of these came from the same quarter box, which ended up being five for a dollar with the bulk discount. I'll start with the cards that came from the 90's and 00's as that was about half of the cards I came home with.

Up first is one featuring Steve Yzerman from 1996-97 Fleer Ultra. I was really into this set as a kid in the late 90's and remember having a ton of these. There was just something about the design that I really liked then and still do to this day. 


The next one also features Yzerman and comes from 1996-97 Donruss Elite. This was a set that I did not have much of back then, so its nice to add one to my collection. These things definitely look better in person with the full foil finish.


Here we have another one with The Captain. This one comes from the 1997-98 Upper Deck McDonald's ICE set. I remember having a bunch of these back when I was a kid and still really like them. There is just something cool about the acetate cards, right?  


Continuing the theme I have going here, this one comes from 1992-93 O-Pee-Chee and is a reprisal of Yzerman's rookie card from 1984-85. The design is the same, but the pictures have been changed. Gotta say I like the original more. Click here to see what I mean. 


As far as Yzerman, last but not least is this one from 1997-98 Pacific Dynagon. This set definitely screams 90's with intricate gold foil design, the burst effect coming from the team logo and all the random circles placed. That said, I really like sets like this and am glad to have this one in my Wings collection now. 


Here's another one from the same set, this time featuring Chris Osgood. I think this one looks a bit better overall than the Yzerman because the white jersey tends to stand out from the background a bit more than the red. 


Speaking of Osgood, here is another one from the same year, only instead of Dynagon it comes from Invincible. The cool thing about this set is that the circular window with the head shot is actually see through. Not sure how or why they came up with the idea, but it does make for a pretty cool card. 


Jumping forward a bit to 2001-02, this one also feature Ogsood. It comes from the retro parallel portion of the Topps set from that year. Definitely a card that's hard to miss when sorting through a stack of random cardboard. 


When I found the Osgood above, there was also another card from the same set right next to it so I made sure to grab both. This one features Sergei Fedorov. 


Up next is another Fedorov, this time from 1994-95 Topps Stadium Club. Its got a cool picture of Fedorov celebrating one of his may goals with the Wings. It is also stamped with a note about his first hat trick and that the team were conference winners. 


Here is an Osgood from the same set. This one is a pretty neat picture of him doing stretches during warm ups. A lot of times non-action shots like this can be boring, but this one is kind of cool because of the angle and the closeup look at the goalie gear.


Up next is a Super Team redemption card from the same set. This one has a different type of foil on the TSC logo and text on the front. I don't know much about these, but apparently you could redeem them for a special set of cards if the team won either the division, conference, or the Stanley Cup.

I'm guessing that's where the two cards above came from since the Wings won the West in 1995. Here is a link to the cards on COMC if you are interested in reading the back. If you look at the first one listed, it does not have the conference winner logo and is not marked as "redeemed" on the back like mine is.


Up next is a card of a guy I had never heard of before, which is strange for me because I tend to remember most every player that suited up for the Wings since around 1997. It comes from 1999-00 Ultimate Victory and features Marc Rodgers. Apparently he played 21 games with Detroit that season. 


Here we have a bit of an older one from 199-96 Upper Deck Collectors Choice. It features Keith Primeau and comes from the platinum players club parallel set. Its the base design with a silver foil treatment and the extra words added along the top. 


Also from 1994-95, there was this one of Sergei Fedorov. It comes from 1994-95 Fleer Ultra and is part of the Premier Pivots insert set. For whatever reason, I really like the background design on this one. The red and white of the Wings jersey provides a nice contrast to it. 


Up next is a newer one from 2006-07 Upper Deck, specifically the Shootout Artists insert set. It features Jason Williams who was actually pretty good at the whole shootout thing with the Wings. He went 5 for 7 (71.4%) the season before, so I'm guessing that's why he was included in this set. He was even better than Datsyuk that season in the shootout.  


Finally, the last card I have to show for these two decades comes from 1994-95 Pinnacle, another set I remember having a ton of as a kid. This one though, is a Rink Collection parallel which I did not have many of. It features Dino Ciccarelli and definitely looks better in person than in the scan. The silver foil pattern is actually pretty cool. 


That's it for now, man this post took a while to put together now, but it was definitely worth it. I love getting to show off cards from my favorite team like this. I also picked up some even older Wings cards from the quarter box, but didn't want to cram them all into one super long post, so those should be up here soon. Stay tuned for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment