Thursday, June 16, 2011

My Picks # 60: Jon Casey

With the lack of pickups around here lately, I thought I would dig through some more boxes of my base cards and post a few more of My Picks. This one featuring former Blues goaltender Jon Casey comes from another great 90's set: 1995-96 Parkhurst.


When you first look at this card, there is a lot going on. First you've got a nice full color picture of Casey kneeling down along with a blown-up, faded version of the same picture on top in the corner. 

The background definitely pops on this one, with a pretty scattered pattern as well as a kind of light burst effect coming from behind Casey. Add to that a tilted Blues logo that is partially covered and you've got a variety of design elements.

One thing I like is the way the player first and last names come together in the upper right corner, just inside of the outer frame of the card. It's just a little hard to read the gold foil from the scan. 

I like this set in general because when you look at it, it's not something you would expect to come from the Parkhurst brand, and I'm always a fan of card companies trying something different.

2 comments:

  1. My first ever live hockey game featured him in goal for the North Stars! He ended up getting the win over Tim Cheveldae! What a good trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, I don't even remember him playing for the Blues, only the North Stars--my trip down memory lane is not so good

    ReplyDelete