Saturday, June 19, 2021

MVP Super Script Update

Last summer I decided to expand my MVP Script project to include the original main MVP set from 1999-00. That one came out before the Stanley Cup Edition. I've only picked up a few cards from that set as I'm only grabbing them when the price is right.

I've always liked those first three MVP sets (98-99, 99-00 and 99-00 SCE) from Upper Deck and they will always have a special place in my collection. Those were some of the first hobby boxes I opened as a kid and I still have all of the cards from them in my collection.

My latest pickup from eBay for the 99-00 Super Script set is card #70 featuring Brendan Shanahan of the Detroit Red Wings. It is serial numbered 11/25. Somehow I was luck enough to get it for just $5 plus shipping. That was a deal I couldn't pass on.


In addition to that, I was able to snag my very first Super Script from the 1998-99 MVP set. This one is card #153 and features Dan McGillis of the Philadelphia Flyers. This one is serial numbered 21/25, but you can't see it as for this set it was on the back of the card.


As far as the design goes, these are lacking a bit compared to the later versions. I believe this was the very first Super Script set from Upper Deck, at least in MVP hockey. They're actually hard to differentiate from the Silver Scripts other than the rainbow foil signature. The rest of the foil on the card is the regular silver just like the Silver Scripts.

Even if it's not the best of the early MVP Super Script designs, I'm still happy to have this one in my collection and to have a start on this set as well. I may not get these as often, but they bring back good memories of my early collecting so I'll always look for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment