Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Jimmy Howard: 2019-20 MVP Super Scripts

If I had to choose my current favorite "rainbow" combination of base cards and parallels, it would be tough for me to choose between Upper Deck's MVP Script parallels and their awesome colored parallels from O-Pee-Chee Platinum. Luckily for me, Jimmy Howard has been included in both sets in recent years so I am able to chase some of each.

I might give MVP a slight edge because I've loved the Super Script parallels for over 20 years now, going all the way back to 1999-00 when I pulled my first one. That would be the Hasek that started my set build for the Stanley Cup Edition Super Scripts.

Howard has Super Scripts in pretty much every MVP set between 2014-15 and 2020-21, so there are definitely some for me to go after. I believe the only one I have before now was the 2021 version as well as its lower numbered Black counterpart.

It is funny how things work out sometimes because now I have both the Super Script and Black versions for 2019-20 MVP thanks to some more recent eBay purchases. The Black version is a beautiful card as you can see from the scan below.

 
While I really like the rainbow foil on the standard Super Script, the big black bar across the middle of the card kind of brings it down a notch if you ask me. I understand wanting to make the signature stand out more, but this just looks odd.
 

The other funny coincidence here is that this Black was numbered 2/5, which is the exact same numbering as the other Black from 2020-21. What are the odds that I get both of these MVP Black Scripts and they are the same serial number?

Here's a look an my visual rainbow checklist for this one:


As you can see I've still got a few to track down, but I do have the two lowest print runs out of the way, so that's definitely a good thing. We'll see how long it takes. The Gold Script will probably be the hardest to find at this point. It was for the 2020-21 version. 

No comments:

Post a Comment