Wednesday, February 17, 2021

New Side Project: Jeff Gordon

Yes, that Jeff Gordon, the race car driver from NASCAR. Now this might be a bit out of nowhere in terms of what I've been posting on here in the past, but I felt like it was a good time to throw something a little bit different into the mix. Hello racing cards!

 
 
When I was a kid, I was actually really into NASCAR for a few years. Jeff Gordon was my favorite driver and I will always remember those colorful paint jobs on his #24 DuPont cars from the 90's. I had a bunch of t-shirts and toys with those colors plastered all over them.

As far as collecting, in recent years I have diversified a bit and gotten away from exclusively collecting hockey cards. While I will never collect baseball, basketball or football, there are at least a handful of other types of cards I collect now or possibly will in the future.

I've come a long way from simply hoarding low end 90's and 00's hockey. While hockey is still my main focus, I really enjoy some of these oddball side projects like train cards and stuff for some of my favorite shows like Stranger Things, Lost and Jericho. 

I'm also a big believer in the "collect what you want and ignore what everyone else thinks" approach. Nobody is going to tell me what I should or shouldn't collect. I do this as a hobby for fun so I'm going to do it in a way that makes it enjoyable for me.

Back to the focus of this post, I've always been aware of NASCAR cards from reading other blogs (specifically Cardboard History) and what not, but I know next to nothing about them. After some initial searching on eBay and COMC, Gordon has a ton of cards out there. Since I'm treating this as a fun mini-PC project, I'm going after just the ones I like.

Here are some example of what's out there.


Honestly, I wasn't even aware that Upper Deck made NASCAR cards in the late 90's and early 2000's. There is even some overlap with the hockey designs from back then, so that's a neat tie in with my current collection. I'll probably gravitate toward those types of cards.

A quick check of the Trading Card Database shows Gordon has over 7,000 different cards out there. A lot more than I was thinking. I guess the good thing about that is I should easily be able to find a bunch of low end stuff that I actually like for this new side project.


So we'll see where this goes. I'm not making it my top priority or anything, but it will be fun to have another type of card to go after. Anyone else a NASCAR card collector?

6 comments:

  1. Always welcome to have another NASCAR collector! Jeff has more cards of anyone in auto racing history, at least he used to before panini got the license, lol. If I have you want in my tradelist on the Database, let me know...I'll send some your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, appreciate that! Right now I don't even know where to start. I'll have to do some more looking through the database to see which cards I would even want of his.

      There are some cool designs, especially the mid to late 90's stuff, but I've also seen quite a few I don't care for.

      Delete
  2. Not actively. But I have a small collection of Rusty Wallace... and I've grabbed cheap memorabilia cards of familiar NASCAR names over the years. As for Gordon... I did go out and grab his 1996 SPx autograph just because he's a legend in the sport and that was a card I remember being popular in the 90's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool, I liked Wallace when I was actually watching races as a kid. He's in a small group of names I will always remember from back then along with the likes of Labonte, Jarrett, Martin, Elliott, and Earnhardt.

      Delete
  3. I have a small stack of Gordon cards. Nothing fancy, but would always be willing to work out a trade sometime. I'm at thelostcollector AT gmail dot com. Also on TCDB under same name.

    Please thank Fuji for linking to your blog today, as that's how I was able to to come across it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'll keep that in mind, although all I would have for trade is hockey.

      Delete