Saturday, May 9, 2020

Expanding My MVP Script Quest

Like a lot of people right now, I have a bit of extra time to spend on my hobbies due to COVID-19. Here in Michigan we're still under our stay at home order, at least until the end of the month. For me, this has meant spending more time admiring my current collection and continuously looking to add to it via online shopping. 

All of this extra perusing of eBay, COMC and Sportslots has me wanting to add something new to the mix as far as my collection goes. If you're a regular reader here then you may know that I've been working on the 1999-00 Upper Deck MVP Script parallels for years now. Its a really fun project, but progress has always been slow. 

In order to give myself a little bit more to collect, I've decided to start actively pursuing the counterpart to that set, which would be the regular MVP set from 1999-00. If you're not familiar with these, there were actually two entirely separate MVP sets from Upper Deck that season: regular and Stanley Cup Edition. Here they are side by side.


The regular MVP was released first at the beginning of the collecting season like it still is today. The Stanley Cup Edition came out later during the 1999-00 NHL season. I remember getting hobby boxes of both as a kid, so both sets provide some of that nostalgia factor. Of all the MVP base designs over the years, these two along 98-99 are my favorites. 

Now, as far as what the regular MVP adds to my want list, this was a 220-card so there will be 220 silvers, 220 golds and 220 supers to chase. I have several silvers and at least one gold from a card show several years ago, so at least I'm not starting from nothing. 

We'll see how this goes. At least for now this is fun and exciting because its new.

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck with this new project. I remember the regular MVP set... but not the Stanley Cup Edition.

    ReplyDelete