Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Red Wings Card of the Day: 1996-97 Collector's Choice Darren McCarty

I was hoping to come home to a couple of packages in the mail from eBay, but I guess those will have to wait for another day. In the mean time, I thought I would share another random card from my Red Wings collection. I don't really have a specific reason for this one, other than it happened to be the next one I had scanned and waiting to be uploaded.

This one is from another set I remember collecting as a kid back in the mid-90's. I distinctly remember getting a Red Wings team set from either a card show or my LCS way back in the day, and for some reason I just really liked the design.


Most of the time the non-action shots on cards aren't all that interesting, but this one is kind of cool with the bubble gum thing going on. I've seen this on a few other cards in the past too. I wonder how many are out there, it might make for a cool little side project. 

McCarty is one of the players I grew up watching on TV and will always remember him as part of the Grind Line. While he wasn't the greatest offensive player and he had his off-ice issues, he was still a fan favorite here in Detroit. As far as specific moments, I would have to go with the following as a top three:

     - Stanley Cup winning goal from the 1997 playoffs against Ron Hextall
     - Fighting Claude Lemieux in March of 1997 as payback for the hit on Kris Draper
     - Playoff hat trick against Patrick Roy during the 2002 Western Conference Finals

That's it for now. I'm hoping to get a few more of these in the queue, but we'll see. Now I have a bit of work to do scanning and cataloging my Dominik Hasek collection.

2 comments:

  1. UD Collector's choice 1997: Best card set ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said! I love it because its one of those sets that reminds me of collecting as a kid when jersey cards and autos didn't matter.

      Delete