Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Red Wings Card of the Day: 1995-96 Topps Marquee Men Paul Coffey

Like I said in my last post, I will use these as a filler when I don't have anything to show for any of my other PC projects. Today's card is another one from back when I was just getting into collecting and Red Wings were all that mattered to me. 

As you can see from the title, this one features former defenseman Paul Coffey. It's always weird thinking of him as a Red Wing, but that's all I knew when I started watching the Wings on TV during his time with the team. Coffey spent four seasons with the Wings before being traded to Hartford along with Keith Primeau for Brendan Shanahan.


This one is from the 1995-96 Topps set and part of the Marquee Men subset. I remember getting a ton of these things as a kid and I thought they were the coolest thing for some reason. It's a fairly simple design, but these cards are hard to miss when sorting through a box of 90's junk. Definitely one of my favorites from the mid 90's.

There were also some really cool "Power Booster" versions of these cards, one of which can be seen by clicking here. These were pretty hard to come by if I remember correctly. I think between a couple of boxes of 1995-96 Topps, I only have one or two.

1 comment:

  1. Marquee Men were a hot card during their release - I remember someone in my class traded a huge stack of their cards for a Gretzky Marquee Men. I may still have one or two in my collection.

    ReplyDelete