Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Thoughts: Beckett Raw Card Review

Has anyone else heard of these? I came across one when I was doing one of my daily Jimmy Howard searches on eBay the other day. I've never heard of or seen one before, so it just kind of stuck out to me. Click here to see the auction for yourself. 

Here's a screenshot just in case:


Here's some of the description: "You are bidding on a 2005-06 fleer ultra rookie Beckett raw card review pristine BGS 10 of Jimmy Howard of the Detroit Red Wings. Card #270. Beckett raw card review serial number 221614. This is an extremely rare card of this NHL superstar!!! So don't miss the opportunity to add this to your collection today!"

The other thing that jumped out at me was the BIN price of $129.99. That's kind of ridiculous if you ask me, as I've seen plenty of slabbed BGS 9.5's and 10's for far less than half of that for this very card. What gives?

I did a little research and found out that these are in fact legitimate. It's a service that Beckett offers at card shows/expos where they give a raw card and onsite grade, then seal it with a tamper-proof label, like shown above. These can then be sent to be slabbed at a later date for something like $5. Click here to see what I'm talking about.

1 comment:

  1. Argh. So now we go from regular grading artificially inflating the price of a card to "pre-grading" artificially inflating THAT price. Where will it end?

    Gem 10 should = high raw book. Period.

    ReplyDelete