Monday, August 22, 2011

My Picks # 67: Eric Fichaud

Sometimes these picks are more about the photo on the card than the actual card itself, and that can be for a number of reasons, anything from a unique action shot or in this case the jersey being worn in the photo. This pick is an Eric Fichaud of the Islanders from 1997-98 Score, of course featuring the famous 'Fisherman' jersey from back in the day.


As much as people in general don't like this thing, I can honestly say I love it and would have to put it near the top of my replica jersey want list. I don't know what it is, but I just like the overall color scheme and it was something different, which is usually a good thing. 


Speaking of (supposedly) horribly designed Islanders jerseys, head on over to Icethetics for a look at the latest monstrosity to come out of Long Island. Most would say it makes the 'Fisherman' jersey look like a work of pure genius. 

The other neat part about this card is that it gives a pretty good look at Fichaud's mask also featuring the fisherman logo. I believe Tommy Salo and Wade Dubielewicz were the only other Islanders' goalies to do this, but I'd be interested to see if I've missed anyone that's done so. Dubielewicz even did so long after these jerseys were retired.

2 comments:

  1. When I was broke and in art school, I found a dark blue Islanders "fishsticks" jersey on clearance for like $40. I remember putting it on layaway and paying $5 a week until it was paid off. The jersey is so awful...and yet I could not pass it up after learning that the Isles were going to dump it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still love the logo and the jersey.

    ReplyDelete