Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Captured on Cardboard #1: Johan Franzen

I came across this Johan Franzen card from 09-10 Upper Deck and thought it would make for a good topic here on Card Boarded. It features an awesome moment from the 2009 Stanley Cup Finals when Johan Franzen checked Sidney Crosby into the boards at center ice during the second period of game 7 between the Red Wings and Penguins.


Now that you've seen the moment "captured on cardboard" you can watch it over and over again in real time thanks to YouTube. The photo shown on the card was taken right around the 0:13 mark of this video.


I love how the crowd erupts when they realize it's Crosby limping to the bench, it shows just how much Wings fans hate the guy. It's always fun to have a villain in sports.

I'm on the lookout for some more cards that feature these kind of YouTube moments, the Franzen just caught my eye right away when it came out of the last pack of 09-10 Upper Deck that I bought. There has to be a lot more just like this.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting stuff.

    There are so many times that I forget that these photos are taken in the midst of an actual NHL game. It may seem weird, but I say that because the photos often have a 'generic' feel to them.

    That's what I enjoy about cards that have a cool looking photo. It's a 'one time only' moment that can be traced back to a key moment in a game.

    If you come up with more, I'd be interested in seeing them.

    ReplyDelete