Sunday, February 6, 2022

SCE Tribute Update

It has definitely been a while since my last update on this project. I have to go all the way back to April of last year for my most recent post. That one was for a tribute Super Script, this one is for one of the awesome Colors & Contours parallels, which I'm also collecting.

This particular eBay pickup has actually opened up a whole new can of worms for me regarding this project. I say that because I didn't even realize there was an update set that was a part of the flagship Upper Deck set from 2019-20. There are actually 50 more of these, all of which are serial numbered /99 rather than the regular /249 version.

Here is card #142 featuring Taro Hirose of the Detroit Red Wings. I only got this one because the starting bid was $0.99 and it never moved from there. He hasn't made much of an impact with the Wings yet, so maybe his cards are that desirable just yet.


I have to say these are really growing on me. At first I wasn't super into the die-cut designs, but now that I've got five of these things I am really starting to like them. The original MVP logo always brings back good collecting memories for me, especially when the Stanley Cup Edition is involved. I also really like the red foil, especially for the Red Wings cards.

This puts me at 1/50 for the rookie update set and 5/150 when you include the original tributes from the main MVP set in 2019-20. These /99's might be a little trickier to complete just because of the names included in the set like Hughes, Dach and Fox.

4 comments:

  1. Opening up cans of worms is fun.

    That's a sharp looking card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, thanks! Although this one won't be so fun for my wallet with some of the rookies in there.

      Delete
  2. All of these iterations are some of the sharpest looking cards I've come across so far. Enjoying following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really nice! A lot of it for me is the nostalgia. My first big hit from a pack as a kid was my Hasek super script from the 99-00 SCE set. I've been hooked on it since then.

      Delete