Saturday, March 13, 2021

Jimmy Howard: COMC Pickups

I'm getting a little behind on posting all the stuff that's shown up in the mail lately. This post has been in my drafts for a couple months now and I've been meaning to finish it.

Like some other Howard posts here lately, this one will be a bit on the longer side as it will recap all of the stuff I picked up from COMC last summer. Despite the insanely long time it took to be shipped, I am happy to have these in my collection now. I tried to grab a nice variety of lower end stuff to help boost the collection total a bit. Here's what I got.

Up first is my favorite card of the bunch, a speckled rainbow parallel from 2018-19 Upper Deck. This thing looks awesome in person and my favorite of the many variations of this card. While it looks nice in the scan, it looks ten times better in person.


Since I grabbed the rainbow, I figured why not grab the silver foil version as well. This one is a bit harder to see in the scan, but still looks nice. I like how much more the player photo stands out from the background on this one, it makes for a really clean overall look.


While we're on the subject of 2018-19 Upper Deck, I was also able to grab the UD Exclusives version for a few bucks. This one is serial numbered 081/100. The best part is how the change to red at the bottom works so well. If only it were a few shades lighter.


Sticking with Upper Deck, I also grabbed a gold rainbow foil parallel from the 2017-18 set. The pattern on this one is a bit different than the one above. Great low angle photo too.



In addition to that one, I was also able to grab the silver foil version of the same card. I think I am down to just needing the UD Exclusives and High Gloss to complete the rainbow.


The last of my UD flagship pickups was this silver foil from 2019-20.

Anyone remember the old Stoppers cards from Score in the mid-90's? That was the first thing I thought of when I grabbed this Stonewalled insert from 2018-19 Upper Deck.

Moving onto Black Diamond, I was able to get this base card from 2013-14. Like pretty much every Black Diamond card I've shown off on here it looks terrible in a scan.


Up next is a first for my Howard collection, which would be a card from Upper Deck Compendium. I've been aware of this set, but never decided to pick one up until now. This comes from the 2016-17 version and is actually a pretty nice looking card.


Up next is a Green Script parallel from 2019-20 MVP. These are one of those ePack deals where you had to combine 20 copies of a base card to get one. It will look great as part of another MVP rainbow that I can hopefully someday finish.


Sticking with the MVP Green Scripts, here is the one from 2018-19. Both are great looking cards as the green design elements provide a nice contrast with the Red Wings colors.


As far as another MVP rainbow for 2018-19, this Silver Script helps get me one step closer. I will say I'm not a huge fan of this particular Silver Script design. The large black blob behind the facsimile signature just looks off for whatever reason.

Here's another set that I don't believe I had represented in my Howard collection until now: 2014-15 Fleer Ultra. I had a ton of Ultra cards when I was a kid in the 90's so it is always fun to see that name. This one specifically is the Gold Medallion parallel.


UD Canvas cards are always a fun add for this collection as you get some interesting photos for the goalies in these sets. This one has an awesome closeup of Howard spraying himself with some water. You can even read the custom embroidery on the inside of his blocker.


This next one definitely makes me miss Panini. This is a Mirror Red parallel from 2011-12 Certified, which is numbered to 199. These cards look great in person, although I think they could've gone without the word mirror plastered in the background that many times.


Back to Upper Deck, we have this really cool base card from 2013-14 Ultimate Collection. This is one of those higher end base cards on really thick stock. It is even serial numbered to 499. It looks awesome, although I wish they cropped out the entire background.


Die-cuts are always nice to add to the collection and this one from Between the Pipes is another great example. This one comes from the 2011-12 Masked Men 4 set, specifically the Ruby 10th Anniversary version. The red design really works well with Howard's mask.


Up next is another cool Panini card, this time from 2013-14 Prime. This is the base version numbered to 299 and it goes nicely with the Holo Silver version I picked up a while back.


One of the sets from Panini that I really miss is Crown Royale. Even back in the Pacific days I loved their die-cut base designs. This one from 2013-14 looks awesome. I love the detail in the foil crown and the royal imagery at the bottom of the card.


Last but not least is a bit of an oddball. This 2008 AHL All-Stars card from Choice is once that I've had on the radar for a while, just never picked it up until now. This might be the only card out there that shows Howard in this particular AHL All-Start jersey.


So there you have it, another nice boost to my growing Jimmy Howard collection. I'm not even sure how many I actually have at this point as I've been kind of lazy lately about entering all of this new stuff into my spreadsheet. One of these days I'll get a true count.

No comments:

Post a Comment