Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Topps 75th: Rails and Sails Rainbow

Have you ever stumbled upon a card while shopping online that you didn't even know existed and then immediately acquired it for your collection? I'm sure it happens a lot nowadays. This post is about the latest instance of this exact scenario happening to me.

While scrolling through some recent eBay search results for train related cards, I happened to notice a listing for what looked like a chrome refractor type card that seemed out of place compared to the other vintage cards. As it turns out there was a "reprint" of the first card from the original 1955 Rails and Sails set that was included with a newer Topps set.

Here is card #7 from the 2013 Topps 75th Anniversary set. Technically, what I found is the rainbow foil parallel, which is pretty obvious from the scan. It looks even better in person.


While this is a tribute to the original set from 1955, it is a normal sized card (2.5" x 3.5") and printed on modern card stock, but replicates the look of the original almost perfectly. The biggest difference aside from the size is the Topps 75th logo in the upper left.

The back of the card has a nice write up about the original set. Interestingly, it has a note at the bottom listing the size of the original set as 2 5/8" x 3 3/4" overall.


Now I just need to work on tracking down the other three versions of this reprint. There is a standard base version, a Modern Gloss version (#/10) and a Diamond Sparkle version (#/75). This would be a cool "rainbow" to complete for my train card collection. I think this is the only train card I've seen that even has any type of parallel version, so that's neat. 

Anyone else collect anything from the Topps 75th Anniversary set? I never knew about it before and there are some pretty neat cards including The Simpsons, Terminator 2: Judgement Day and Back to the Future Part II. Those are some of my favorite franchises so I might need to try and find them too at some point.

3 comments:

  1. I vaguely remember seeing blog posts featuring singles from that set. Not sure if I have any sitting in my collection though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems like an achievable rainbow set to complete! I don’t have any from the set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to go after the rainbow someday. I even found one of the Diamond Sparkle parallels on eBay, just haven't bought it yet.

      Delete