Monday, January 28, 2013

SCE Super Script Update

After a rough day at the office, it felt good to come home to a bubble mailer I've been waiting for since last week. In it was another one of my recent eBay purchases, another Super Script as you can tell from the title of the post. This one had a bit of a twist to it at the end of the auction, another one of the little things that makes this hobby fun. 

When I first came across this auction I wasn't sure where it would end up because the player, Ted Drury in this case, wasn't the main attraction. That leaves it up for team collectors or set builders like myself. Anyway, I was winning the auction up until the end when I got sniped. At that point I thought oh well, maybe one of the other 24 Drury's will surface again someday. Can't win them all, right?

Not so fast. About an hour later I got an email from eBay for second chance offer as the winning bidder withdrew their bid. The message from the seller said this, "Hi there, The other buyer make a mistake, he already have it in his collection and ask me to cancel the transaction. Here is your second chance offer." Awesome, I jumped on the opportunity and took them up on this offer knowing it was my only chance for a while. 

Here's a look at my newest Super Script numbered 12/25:


This one adds another team to the Super Script project. I'd like to get at least one from all 28 NHL teams included in the set, that would be pretty cool. It's also the 43rd overall that I've been able to add to the set, which puts me at 19.5% for the set.

Have you ever gotten something cool from a second chance offer on eBay? This is the first time I've done so and I have to say I'm a fan of the option.

2 comments:

  1. I've had this happen to me once or twice but have always been skeptical that the seller themselves drove up the bidding using another account, then retracted their bid and offered it to me. Comes across looking like you got a great second chance when really the seller was just forcing you to max out your bid. I'm sure this isn't the case but I'm cynical about it for whatever reason...

    Great score on the card though regardless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hear you though, I did wonder if something fishy was going on, but I didn't care because I ended up with another card I really wanted for less than my self-imposed single card limit.

      I'm sure it happens a lot though, especially with all the people in the sports card world concerned with nothing more than making money and taking advantage of people.

      Delete