Monday, December 31, 2012

A Look Back at 2012 + Goals for 2013

It's hard to believe we're already coming up on the start of another new year, 2012 just went by way to fast, right? Anyway, I thought I would put together a quick summary of my collection over the past year. Here's a quick update on my main PC projects (all 10 of them) for 2012 and my goals for these projects for the new year:


Jimmy Howard: 
Still my primary player collection, which shouldn't change anytime soon. Only 29 new cards in for the PC in 2012. Not as much as I would like, but I'm still only on the lookout for great deals on Howard stuff and refuse to overpay for anything. For 2013, I'm hoping to continue what I've been doing by looking for great deals and I'd also like to get more of these through trades if possible, so I'm not wasting as much money on shipping with eBay.

Dominik Hasek:
One of my two secondary player collections. No new cards for the PC in 2012, only decided to restart the project back in November. For 2013, I think I'm going to focus primarily on base and low end inserts with this one and see what I can grab at the local card shows from dime and quarter boxes. Hasek has a ton of high-end stuff that is way out of my price range, so why even waste time trying to track any of it down.

Patrik Stefan:
My other secondary player collection. 30 new cards for the PC in 2012. This is another project I started in 2012 and hope to continue with in 2013. Stefan has a bunch of cards from 1999-2006 and they can usually be found in the dime and quarter boxes around here, so that's what I'll be doing for this project in 2013. 

MVP SC Edition:
My primary set collection and part of the reason I started the blog. I think I made a pretty good dent in the want list this year: 18 Super Scripts, 8 Gold Scripts, 18 Silver Scripts, 2 Clutch Performers, 2 Golden Memories, 1 Cup Contenders, 2 Second Season Snipers, 1 Playoff Heroes, and 1 GU Souvenirs. Some of this was from another hobby box I busted. Anyway, that's 53 new cards for the project, the highest total of any of my projects for the year so far. For 2013, I plan to continue what I've been doing scouring eBay for Super and Golds then hoping to land the rest at card shows or through trades.

Metal Universe:
This is my secondary set project and has been one of my favorite base sets since I first saw it back in 1996-97. This year I managed to get 8 new base cards through trades and contests, but in addition to that I also busted a hobby box that brought me a bunch of much needed base cards and 2 lethal weapons inserts. Right now I just need 3 cards to complete my base set. For 2013, I'd like to track down those three and start working on the insert sets and maybe even the Super Power parallel insert sets. 

UD Showcase:
This is currently my tertiary set project and I've kind of just been grabbing singles when I see them for cheap. In 2012, I managed to get 6 new Rookie Showcase cards including a Sidney Crosby for just $10. In addition to the Hockey Showcase cards I got back in 2005 with the UD promotion, I have 26 out of a possible 76 cards for the combined set. For 2013, I'd like to keep looking for good deals on cards for both sets.

Masks:
This is more of a side project than anything. If I see any Mask card and the price is right, I'll get it because who doesn't love goalie mask cards? I only ended up getting 2 new Mask cards in 2012, and both only cost me just $1. For 2013, I'd like to do the same, if the price is right I'll pick these up but otherwise they're not exactly my top priority.

Red Wings:
The Wings are the team I grew up with and they will always be my favorite, so I'm always on the lookout for Wings stuff on the cheap. 2012 brought in a ton of cool stuff for the PC, so much that I don't feel like trying to count it up. For 2013, I'd like to continue what I've been doing and go for anything that catches my eye as long as the price is right.

Goaltending Gallimaufry:
This has become my favorite side project and I love the variety it provides. I never know what set the next card in the project will come from, which makes it that much more fun. 2012 brought 48 new cards to the project, bumping the total from 59 to 107. For 2013, I'd like to keep looking for these at card shops and card shows as dime and quarter boxes are the best place to find them.

Captured on Cardboard:
This is my other side project and has not moved along as fast as Goaltending Gallimaufry, but is still a fun one. 2012 brought 5 new cards to the project, bumping the total from 7 to 12. For 2013, I'd like to keep looking for these in the dime and quarter boxes at the local card shops and shows, they're just a bit harder to find than the Gallimaufry cards.

Collecting in General:
As far as collecting goals in general for 2013, I would really like to work on getting rid of the stuff that has no place in any of my PC projects. I've got hundreds of autos/jerseys/inserts/parallels that I need to inventory and add to my trade lists. On top of that, I probably have two 5000 ct boxes worth of base cards from 1990-2012 that I could go without. I'm hoping to start work on cataloging those too, but we'll see.

My other main goal is to make it up to Toronto for the fall expo. I've been wanting to do that for years now and every year I plan on going, something seems to come up. This time I am determined to go and will do whatever I can to make sure it finally happens. 

All in all, 2012 was a good year for me and my collection. I love blogging and I still enjoy collecting cards as much as the day I started this blog. Thanks to everyone that stopped by this past year and I wish the best of luck to you and your collections in 2013. 

Happy new year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment