Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My Picks # 73: Trevor Linden

The other day when I was searching through one of my monster boxes of old base cards for stuff for my goaltending gallimaufry project, I came across a few more cards I thought I'd share as my picks. The first of the group is this Trevor Linden from 1995-96 Topps. 


There are a few things to look at here. The first thing I notice about this card is the fact that it's horizontal, where most of the cards in this set are vertical. Altough, I guess with the photo they chose, this one would have to be a horizontal wouldn't it?

In addition to the photo just being a pretty cool action shot, it's got something you don't really see all that often on a card. Look closely at Linden's stick, the blade end is almost a perfect 90 degrees from the butt end. Now that's interesting, isn't it?

Now that I've found this one, I wonder how many cards are actually out there that capture the actual breakage of the player's stick mid follow through. Almost sounds like a good idea for a mini PC project. I'll let someone else take that one though, as my current goaltending gallimaufry project is enough for me.

3 comments:

  1. I like the look on his face. It's not the usual snarl that mirrors the aggression and power of a slapshot. It's more like he having a "oh crap" moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what I was thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard to believe that was a two-piece stick

    ReplyDelete