Thursday, June 30, 2011

Jimmy Howard: Card Show Pickups Part II

After scoping out all of the tables with Howard cards available, and after making my initial purchase, I headed back to one of the tables covered in monster boxes of cards in top loaders, where I knew there were several Howard cards I wanted for my collection.

Two cards in particular caught my eye so I grabbed a 05-06 Beehive rookie and a 05-06 Parkhurst rookie for $10. I know I probably overpaid, but I think it may work out assuming I would've paid at least $2 to ship each of them if I were to get them on ebay.

I never really knew much about these Beehive cards back when they came out, but they're starting to grow on me. There's something about the simple old-school design I just can't get enough of now. I just need to work on tracking down all six or so parallel versions.


One thing I really like about this Parkhurst rookie is the fact that the picture on the card was taken later in the 05-06 season, as Jimmy is shown with his first Red Wings themed mask and set of equipment. 


Then, on the way back to the first table where I planned on grabbing a few more singles, I found two more that caught my eye from a table across the aisle. This time I got a 05-06 Beehive red border rookie and a 10-11 Donruss The Goalies acetate insert card.

Again, I like the simplicity of these Beehive cards. This one is nice because the Beehive text only takes up a small area in the upper corner, leaving the rest of the space inside the border for a nice closeup of Jimmy and his Maine mask.


This next one is neat because it's the first acetate card I've added to the collection. It's a Goalies insert from 2010-11 Donruss.


That's eight down, four to go. I'll have those scanned and ready to go in the next day or so. I've saved the best for last, so stay tuned for the biggest addition from the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment