Sunday, May 9, 2010

Player Collection: Jimmy Howard

Lately I've been thinking about beginning a player collection and had some trouble deciding who to collect from my hometown team. I think I've made up my mind now with Jimmy Howard and the way he's played this year for the Wings.


Since he broke into the league in 2005-06, I've always been looking forward to him taking over the starting role and it seems as though that has happened for good now. On top of that, he has one of the best goalie masks I've seen for the Wings probably since Cujo.

A trip to the local card shop yielded nothing yesterday so I hopped on eBay and found all kinds of stuff, although I don't think he has all that many cards yet. I figured what better way to start a player collection than with one of his many rookies, a 2005-06 Artifacts numbered out of 750 to be exact. I won a last minute bidding war and got it for $10.

Hopefully this is the start of another great adventure in collecting. Finally, does anyone have any tips on player collecting?

3 comments:

  1. Great choice. Best of luck with the collection.

    My biggest tip would be - it's not a race. There's nothing saying how fast one has to build a player collection.

    Don't be overwhelmed with the cards out there. I found that although the bigger dollar items were very exciting to get....so were the .10 cent base cards.

    Finally, don't let the collection control you - YOU control the collection. If his cards are venturing out of your budget range or you are finding things not as exciting or whatever, don't feel like you have to do something because of your collection.

    Have fun - the searching is the best - and see what you can gain from other Howard collectors (as I'm sure there are a few out there).

    Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about Jimmy, but found he was already too expensive. (for me)

    Have a plan, know what he has out there, do some research, decide what direction you want your pc to go. If you just buy every card of his you find, it'll get out of control fast.....

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys, thanks for the info.

    I've never really collected a particular player before, so I will see where it takes me.

    ReplyDelete