Tuesday, August 13, 2019

2019-20 MVP Stanley Cup Edition Tribute

While I'm not as active on here as I have been in past years, I still try to keep up with collecting the best I can. Its a little more difficult to find time for this stuff now that I have two kids and a house keeping me busy all the time. Even though I don't make as much time for collecting as I would like, there is one thing that might help make my collection a bit more of a priority again. That would be Upper Deck's first new set of the 2019-20 season. 

This year's MVP set is one that I've actually been looking forward to. Like last year's set they have a tribute to one of the original MVP sets from back in the day. In this case, it is the 20th anniversary of the Stanley Cup Edition set, which is my favorite set.

To this day, I am not exactly sure why I have such a fascination with the 1999-00 SCE set, but I do and it was the main reason I even started this blog in the first place. I'm still working on building the SCE script parallel sets and will probably be working on that forever. They are just really had to find these days. 

Even though I've been trying to keep my total number of collecting projects to a minimum lately, I feel like I need to make an exception here and start going after the 100-card tribute set. It even has its own sets of parallels so this could be a lot of fun. 

There are actually four version of the set: Silver Script, Super Script (#/25), Colors & Contours (#/249) and Colors & Contours Purple (#/9). Only 400 cards all together, not bad. I think I will just focus on the Silver Scripts and Super Scripts to start though. 

Below is a side-by-side look at the original set and the tribute version. Overall UD did a great job capturing the look of the original set.  There are a few minor things that I notice are different, but nothing too crazy. Can't wait to get started on this.


If I do stick with trying to complete this new tribute set, hopefully I won't still be working on it 20 years from now like I am with the original one today.

4 comments:

  1. Haven't bought hockey packs in a long, long time. Back in the day, MVP was a lower end product. Is it still one of the more affordable UD hockey products on the market?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know its pretty affordable. A hobby box is around $50 which doesn't seem too bad to me, especially considering some of the available inserts/parallels. I may be biased though because of the tribute cards. If I were to buy any new packs or boxes right now it would probably be from this set.

      Delete
    2. $50 for a hobby box seems pretty reasonable.

      Delete
    3. Definitely. I'm even contemplating getting one. I can't even remember the last time I bought a new hockey box right when it released.

      Delete