Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Red Wings: Card Show Pickups

Going to card shows in the metro Detroit area means there will always be an abundance of Red Wings stuff. Most of it is overpriced just because they are the hometown team, so usually I avoid most of the bigger ticket items. The lower end stuff though is usually more reasonably priced. While its not much, I added two new cards to my Red Wings collection.

The first was this Mike Vernon from 1997-98 Totally Certified. It is the Platinum Red parallel version, which is numbered out of 4299 on the back. I guess serial numbers were a bit different back then, right? Not many cards are numbered that high anymore.


The other one is this nice Gordie Howe from 2007-08 SPx. It's a cool looking card, but there is definitely a lot going on here design wise, almost too much. I do like that they used the old school Wings logo instead of the current on. Also, I don't have a ton of Howe cards in my Red Wings collection, so this was a nice addition.


I'm almost through all of the stuff I picked up at the card show now. I've got one more post planned to cover some odds and ends that I picked up just for fun. Now that I am almost done, it makes me want to go out and find another local show to check out. For not all that much money, I can get a decent haul of cards and on the plus side it gives me a ton of things to write about on here.

6 comments:

  1. Can't have too many Howes. Love the old school gloves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty cool and always seem to stand out in the color pictures from back then.

      Delete
  2. Great to see you back Paul, nice pick ups!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have not had a card show here in almost 20 years, I sure do miss them. I really like the totally certified parallels. I've got some in my NASCAR collection, have not gotten any for NHL yet, but it's just a matter of time, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man... I remember the days when 4,299 seem so low. Good times.

    ReplyDelete