Thursday, August 17, 2017

Goaltending Gallimaufry: Card Show Pickups

Gallimaufry [gal-uh-maw-free] A hodgepodge; jumble; confused medley.

As with every card show I attend, I was on the lookout for cards that would fit into my Gallimaufry project. Usually I can at least find a few and this time was no different. I was able to find a nice trio in one of the $1 boxes.

My favorite of the three was this Sebastien Centomo from 2002-03 SPx. At first glance this seems like another holy grail for this project, similar to the Jeff Hackett monstrosity that I posted a few years ago. There sure are a lot of colors on this one. 

The pads and gloves wouldn't look out of place if he was picture in the Leafs regular uniform. Since this is a throwback jersey, it violates one of the original rules I set for this project. The red mask saves it though, so it is now part of the collection.


Young Guns from Upper Deck are always a good place to look for Gallimaufry candidates. Since they include all kinds of rookies, there are bound to be some goalies who were called up before getting equipment to math their NHL team. 

This Tyson Sexsmith from 2012-13 is a perfect example. he is shown in a Sharks jersey, but with dark red and black gear from his time with the Vancouver Giants.

 

The last one I picked up at the show was this Michael Wall from 2005-06 Upper Deck Rookie Update. Talk about a great last name for a goalie. Anyway, he is shown in the Mighty Ducks white uniform with primary black gear. I can't quite figure out what team his mask was from, but it definitely clashes with the Mighty Ducks look.


That's it for now. This still has to be my favorite side project as I never know what I'm going to find and there will always be cards like these. I'm closing in on 200 different cards now so that's kind of neat. I'll need to hit up a few more shows to get to that number though.

Goaltending Gallimaufry Count: 190

2 comments:

  1. Thanks. I've already shared the word "gallimaufry" with two people in the span of 5 minutes. I love that word.

    Getting back to cards... I remember the Sharks drafting Sexsmith. The guy seemed to disappear off the face of the planet though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun word isn't it?

      I never even heard of the guy before seeing this card.

      Delete