Friday, July 6, 2012

Box Break: Inkworks Lost Season One

Bet you didn't expect this when I said I picked up an unopened box at the show over the weekend. It was something a bit different and the price was right at only $15 for 36 packs. That's less than $0.50 per pack, not bad right?

Entertainment cards are something I've known bits and pieces about over the last few years, but I never really got into them until I found that some of my favorite shows (Jericho, Lost, Heroes, etc) had their own sets of cards. 

Lost is a show that I never go into when it was on TV, but after hearing about it so much I decided to give the DVD's a shot and was hooked after the first few episodes and it's probably my second favorite show now. I'm still in the middle of season three now that it's available through streaming on Netflix, so I don't know how it ends just yet. Can't wait to find out, so don't spoil it for me. Anyway, here's a look at the box top:

 
Here's a look at the front and back of the header card, which is an excellent idea when it comes to storing a full set in a 100 ct clear plastic case.


Before I get to the rest of the good stuff, here's a look at the checklist, which was the last one in the 90 card set. As you can see, there are several subsets of base cards, which is nice because this gives you a bit of variety, even if there are only four subsets. 


The first subset of the base set was comprised of 49 episode cards, with each one featuring something from one of the first season episodes. Here's a look at a few of them:


Then there were 28 character cards with each of the 14 main characters having two cards. Once card focuses on their life before the island, and the other focuses on their life on the island. Here's a few examples of these:


Then there were three "hidden" cards. Here's a look at one of them:


The last of the subsets were eight "Island Alliances" cards focusing on the many alliances that were formed throughout the first season. Here's a look at some of them:


That's it for the 90 card base set, which I somehow managed to not complete through 36 packs. I guess that was the risk I ran buying a repack box. At least the dealer was nice enough to mention that before I bought the thing. Oh well, can't complain. I got a bunch of cards for one of my favorite shows for far less than the price of a factory sealed box. 

Now onto the inserts. The first inserts I hit were part of a large 9-piece puzzle set that comes together when you get all nine cards into a single binder page. I only got 2 of the 9, so it doesn't look so great yet:


These next two were my favorite two cards of the entire break. They come from the "Numbers" insert set which focus on the all important 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, and 42. The coolest thing is the way that the numbers are die-cut at the bottom of each card.


The back of each of these cards has a little blurb about the number. For this one it says, "These mysterious numbers appear in the lives of the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815, but do they hold some special significance or are they merely coincidence? Claire Littleton, who was 8 months pregnant when she arrived on the island, dreamed of 4 tiny planes hovering over an empty cradle."


And for this one, the description says, "Hugo 'Hurley' Reyes played the lottery using the numbers and won big. Local television stations, including Channel 8, interviewed him."

That's it for this adventure in box breaking. What do you guys think? Its nice to see something different than you're used to once in a while isn't it? By the way, are any of you guys Lost fans and have you ever collected cards for the show or for other shows?

3 comments:

  1. Very cool! Lost is one of my all-time favorite shows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love non sport cards, or 'entertainment' cards as they refer to themselves now. It's very Rickey Henderson.
    I've got sets from a lot of my favourite shows.

    Get any autos or relic cards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I wasn't lucky enough to get either. I didn't really expect any because this was a "repack" box according to the dealer. So in other words, he took out any of the "hot packs" and threw the rest of the packs together to just match the count of a full box.

      Delete