Wednesday, June 10, 2020

MVP Silver Script Update

Continuing with the 1999-00 MVP project I recently started, this post is all about the Silver Scripts that have been sitting in my collection for 20 years now.

I was 11 years old back when this set came out and received a hobby box of as a gift. Back then it was a big deal for me to get a full hobby box as it only happened once in a while, usually birthdays and Christmas. The MVP sets were a big part of my collection as I got boxes for this set, the original 98-99 MVP and the 99-00 Stanley Cup Edition set.

I always thought the Silver Scripts were pretty cool, so it's fun now to look back at these cards. Brings back some good memories about my early collecting.

We'll start things off with one of my favorite hockey jerseys of the 90's, the Phoenix Coyotes. This Nikolai Khabibulin is card #161 in the set. It has a nice overall look at his goalie gear setup. He definitely had some cool masks to go with those jerseys back then.


Up next is card #152 featuring Eric Desjardins of the Philadelphia Flyers. Here's another jersey that I remember watching on TV as a kid, especially during the 1997 Stanley Cup Final when the Wings swept the Flyers. I was 8 at the time and just getting into hockey around then. Definitely brings back some good memories.


Then we have former Red Wings goalie Manny Legace. He is shown here with the Los Angeles Kings on card #99. This is another jersey I grew up watching, so its fun to see again. Not sure his mask is a good match for it though, might be a good gallimaufry candidate.


Here we have card #54 featuring Chris Drury of the Colorado Avalanche. I have to say this set is really reminding me of my love for 90's hockey jerseys. This one for the Avalanche is far superior to anything they've had since.


Up next is Drury's teammate Milan Hejduk as featured on card #58. If I had to choose, I would say he as the better looking signature. I will always remember these two from some great playoff series against the Red Wings back in the late 90's and early 2000's.


Then there was card #82 featuring Tom Poti of the Edmonton Oilers. He is pictured wearing another jersey I grew up watching on TV. I always loved the shouler patch on those ones.


Here's an example of a 90's jersey that I was never really a fan of. Card #173 features former San Jose Sharks forward Vincent Damphousse. As far as the Sharks go, they should never have changed their inaugural sweaters. Those were sweet.


Up next we have card #102 featuring Vladimir Malakhov of the Montreal Canadiens. The name is vaguely familiar to me, but I can't say I remember him that well.


Then there was card #210 featuring Alexander Mogilny of the Vancouver Canucks. I actually don't mind these jerseys. While completely different than the flying skate, I always thought there was something neat about them. I even had a replica when I was younger.


How can anyone not like the original Mighty Ducks jerseys? I might be biased because I grew up with and loved the Mighty Ducks movies. Card #8 featuring Steve Rucchin has a great look at the home white setup they rocked back then.


Not a bad start considering I only had to sort through some old boxes and binders to find them. I might have a few more stashed away somewhere, just need to check again.

MVP Silver Script Total: 10/220

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you about the original Sharks jerseys. I still have mine... but I only wear it on very special occasions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never had one myself. Even though I'm not a fan of the team, I always wanted one when I was a kid.

      Would you be on board with them switching to the new throwback full time? That would be cool.

      Delete
    2. I didn't realize there was a throwback, but if it looks like the one they used from 1991 to 1997, I'd be all for it. That being said... I do enjoy the black jerseys they've used the past decade or so.

      Delete