Sunday, December 1, 2019

SCE Gold Script Update

This year has been great for my collection so far. I've been more active on here than I have the past five years. I've been to more card shows than normal and have been buying things on eBay more frequently. One of the beneficiaries of this has been my long neglected 1999-00 MVP Stanley Cup Edition Gold Script set. While I did just post an update recently, I had nothing new to show for it in almost five years before that.

Thanks to one eBay seller from Sweden, I've been able to knock more than a dozen of these off the want list just in the last few months. While that may not seem like much, I consider it to be some good progress for me. These things are 20 years old now and serial numbered to 100, so they don't exactly show up for sale all that often.

The best I can guess is that this seller had most of if not all of the master set and finally decided to part it out. They've had a ton of listing recently and almost all of them included the Silver Script, Gold Script and Super Script for a given player. Most of them got out of my price range so I had to pass on dozens of them. Some of the bigger names were fetching some crazy amounts, which were even further out of my price range.

The first one I got was this Scott Young, which is card #166 in the set and serial numbered 032/100. I remember seeing a lot of this guy back then with how often the Blue and Red Wings played one another. I miss the days when the Wings were still in the West.

 

Up next was this Sergei Brylin, which is card #110 in the set and is serial numbered 079/100. This one has a cool shot of Brylin appearing to celebrate a goal. I like how he is isolated in the shot other than the random stick from the left.


Then there was this Jeff Halpern, which is card #191 in the set and is serial numbered 037/100. I'm noticing that my scanner really does not like the gold foil on these things. It almost turns black and makes some of the last names pretty hard to read.


Back to New Jersey, there was this Scott Gomez, which is card #107 in the set and is serial numbered 016/100. He is another guy that I will always associate with that 2000 Stanley Cup Championship team. If I remember right they even did a special feature on him being from Alaska on the commemorative DVD (it was actually a VHS for me). 


In addition to those four, I was able to snag a few from the CHL Prospects portion of the main set. The first was this Justin Papineau, which is card #216 in the set and is serial numbered 025/100. Papineau is shown here playing for the Belleville Bulls.


Up next was this Taylor Pyatt, which is card #213 in the set and is serial numbered 077/100. Pyatt was drafted 8th overall by the New York Islanders in 1999 and last played for the Penguins in 2013-14. He is shown here with the Sudbury Wolves.


Then there was this Luke Sellars, which is card #206 in the set and serial numbered 086/100. Sellars was originally drafted by the Atlanta Thrashers in 1999. Unfortunately, he only ever played one game in the NHL and that was with Atlanta in 2001-02.


Last but not least, we have this Michael Zigomanis, which is card #215 in the set and is serial numbered 094/100. He was actually drafted twice, one by the Sabres in 1999 and then again by the Hurricanes in 2001. Apparently there was a typo in his first contract with Buffalo and the league decided he had to re-enter the draft.


So that sums the biggest influx of Gold Scripts I've had in quite a while on here. I'm really glad I've kept these things in my saved eBay searches all these years. They don't come up very often, so it was nice to be able to grab this many all from one source lately.

Gold Script Total: 77/220

2 comments:

  1. Brylin! Gomez! Very cool that you got two Stanley Cup Winners from that year's Stanley Cup Edition set.

    "These things are 20 years old now and serial numbered to 100, so they don't exactly show up for sale all that often." I have the same problem with my Peter Worrell PC. Your Gold Script set build is quite a challenge; I hope you're able to complete it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to pick up so many from one vendor. I remember Pyatt, because I tracked him for a few years after pulling a SOTT autograph of him.

    ReplyDelete