Monday, September 2, 2019

SCE Tribute Update

One of the goals for my card show trip last month was to at least get a start on the new MVP Stanley Cup Edition tribute set. Since the product was so new at the time of the show, I wasn't sure how much there would be available. I hoped for the best and figured worst case was I would be able to grab some Red Wings from the set.

Normally I try to avoid buying Red Wings singles at these local shows due to the significantly higher prices, but I made an exception in this case to get this project started. The first one I found was of Filip Zadina, who was selected sixth overall by Detroit in the 2018 entry draft. This is card #96 in the set. This one ended up costing $5.


I have to say these things look great in person. They are almost a perfect replica of the original Stanley Cup Edition set from 1999-00. The only thing that bothers me is how the cross-hatched pattern extends below the name all the way to the bottom of the card. In the original design this stopped short leaving some blank white space at the bottom.

In addition to the silver scripts, I found several of the new Colors and Contours parallels. These things look amazing in person and I just had to have one. I was able to get this Dylan Larkin from the same seller as the Zadina. It is card #57 in the set and serial numbered 098/245 on the front. This one also ended up costing me $5. 


While I'm not sure I will pursue the entire Colors and Contours set, these things look amazing. I'm really happy to have this Larkin as part of my collection now. The red foil on these really works well with any red colored team. 

Even though I had hoped to get a better start on this set at the show, I'm glad I at least have something now. The silver scrip set is only 100 cards this time instead of 220 like the original. Who knows how long this will take on top of everything else I'm collecting.

SCE Silver Script Tribute Total: 1/100

2 comments:

  1. I got excited for you when I saw these come out. They look fantastic. I'll be looking forward to seeing what else you pick up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This was the first time in a long time I was actually excited about an upcoming release. I even went out and bought myself a blaster box of it from Target the other day.

      Delete