Friday, March 29, 2019

Thoughts: 2019-20 Upper Deck MVP

So I just read Upper Deck's facebook post about 2019-20 MVP and there is one thing that has me really excited for this when it comes out. Normally MVP hasn't been on my collecting radar much the past few years because I've never really been thrilled by the design. I do however really like the original MVP designs from back in the late 90's.

I bet you can figure out where I'm going with this based on this year's MVP release. The 2018-19 version has some awesome tribute cards to the original 1998-99 MVP set. While I haven't chased those at all, I have thought about trying to get just a few. 

Those original MVP sets were some of the first hobby boxes I bought for myself as a young collector. Seeing those designs always brings back good memories. On a side note, its pretty cool that they have Filip Zadina of the Wings as the cover athlete for this set.


Now for where I was going with this. Upper Deck is in fact bringing back the tribute cards, this time for the MVP Stanley Cup Edition set as shown by the second page of the sell sheet below. The 1999-00 set was the original reason for me even starting this blog. 

While I'm still actively working on the original SCE set, it has kind of stalled out on me lately. They are just not as easy to come by now for whatever reason. 

I feel like this new 100 card set would be a good way to jump start some new interest in the project. I do wonder though how this will affect the original set. Would they become more or less desirable with another version floating around like this?

The thing I like most about the original MVP SCE set is that it was unique. There was also a regular MVP release the same season. 1999-00 was the only time they've ever done the specific Stanley Cup Edition. It is still my favorite Upper Deck set to this day.


I just hope the finished product looks better than this mock up with Patrick Kane. 

As of right now, I'm thinking that I will want to go after both the Silver Script and Super Script tribute sets as they would go perfectly with the original set I'm working on. 

Anyone else excited for 2019-20 MVP?

2 comments:

  1. Can't remember the last time I was excited for any hockey set. I mean I enjoy hockey cards, but since I don't actively bust too many hockey products... excited isn't a word that pops into my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it does seem a little lame to be excited by an upcoming MVP release of all things. It doesn't seem to be a favorite of many collectors.

      Delete