Thursday, February 28, 2019

Predators: 18-19 Upper Deck

This post wraps up my Predators pickups from the first card show of the year. Even though they have been primarily base cards, its still fun to add them to one of the newer projects in my collection. These are all from 2018-19 Upper Deck and came from 10 cent boxes. 

My favorite of this group is card #107 featuring Ryan Johansen. It's got an awesome shot of him celebrating another goal in Smashville. I do like that the main Upper Deck set mixes in horizontal cards with the standard vertical ones. This gives the set some nice variety and an opportunity for some excellent photography. 


Up next we have another great horizontal card. This one is #102 and features Calle Jarnkrok. Gotta love photos like this one that showcase the intensity these guys play with.


The last of the horizontal cards is #106 featuring Mattias Ekholm. While I understand they are trying to mix things up with a photo like this, I've seen this exact same type of shot on quite a few cards. By that I mean the knocking over of the stack of pucks during warm ups.


Card #101 featuring Kyle Turris is another example of a type of shot that's been on plenty of cards. While its neat to see some of the players shown during warm ups like this, I would almost prefer in-game action shots over something like this.


Roman Josi is featured on card #104. As I'm posting more and more of these, I'm starting to really like the overall design of this set. The curved shapes on either side of the team logo are a nice touch and I really like the way the images all fade out to white at the bottom.


The recently traded Kevin Fiala is featured on card #105. This is another good in-game shot, the centering looks perfect too. If it weren't for Zdeno Chara taking up some of the background, this would have had a really clean look to it.


So that's it for this run of additions to my Predators collection. I'm pretty happy with the progress so far. I've got a nice variety of sets represented and its been nice to actaully get out to a show and find these things the old fashioned way.

Luckily the show that I got these from happens monthly and is only a few miles from my house. I definitely plan on hitting it up a few more times this year as new sets are released. Once the dealers have finished busting their boxes and cases, the leftover and mostly unwanted base cards can be had for a pretty good price. Definitely beats paying around $0.50 a piece from places like COMC.

Predators Collection Total: 34

No comments:

Post a Comment