Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Predators: 18-19 MVP

Back when I started my Nashville Predators collection after their run to the 2017 Stanley Cup Final, my primary focus was cards featuring pictures from home games that season. I've been following and rooting for the Preds since then, so I figured I would expand the collection to include any card showing anything from the 2016-17 season onward. 

This opens up quite a few more possibilities for the collection and means I can keep adding cards from new releases as they come out. 

The best thing about beings a Predators collector in Michigan is the lack of inflated prices for the local team. All of the cards I'm going to show in this post came from 10 cent boxes at a couple of different dealers. If I were to try and buy the same cards for the Red Wings, I'd probably be looking at five to ten times that price. 

The first group of new Preds comes from 2018-19 MVP. I'll start things off with card #161 featuring Pekka Rinne. I really like the look of this set, which is something that I can't say for most of the recent MVP designs. Those new Preds road jerseys look great here.


Up next is card #77 featuring one of my favorite current Predators: Viktor Arvidsson. Its always fun watching a smaller guy speed around the ice scoring a lot of highlight reel goals in the process. This one also has a nice look at the Predators new home jerseys.

 

I'm really liking the design on the left side of these cards. Its pretty simple, but it works somehow. Not sure what the five dots are for though, but they do look good in this case. Here is card #20 from the set featuring P.K. Subban, another one of my favorite Predators.


These and other ecent MVP sets make me miss the original MVP logo from the late 90's and early 00's. While the large script logo looks alright at the bottom of these cards, I feel like it would look better with the original logo. Up next is card #48 featuring Filip Forsberg.


We're back to the Predators new road jersey with card #114 in the set featuring Ryan Johansen. These cards also have the newer, full color, Upper Deck logo in the upper right corner. While I don't mind this logo, I feel like these would have been that much nice with some foil on there somewhere.


Predators captain Roman Josi is featured on card #129. Another thing I just noticed about this set is the slight fade to white around the Upper Deck logo. This is a nice touch and helps the logo stand out from the rest of the image.


Card #178 in the set features one of the newer Preds that wasn't part of the Stanley Cup Run. Kyle Turris was acquired from the Ottawa Senators in November of 2017 as part of a three team trade that also included the Colorado Avalanche. 


The last card for this post is #195 set and features one of the newer Predators: Ryan Hartman. He's only been with Nashville since February of 2018 after being acquired in a trade with the Chicago Blackhawks. While he wasn't a part of the 2017 Stanley Cup Final run, he was a good pickup and I'm glad to have this card as part of my collection now.


I think these eight cards are most of the Nashville cards from the set, but I'll have to track down a checklist to be sure. I'm also on the lookout for the script parallels and the 1998-99 20th Anniversary Tribute cards. Those look pretty sweet. That original MVP set is one that I remember collecting as a kid and that design will always stick with me.

Predators Collection Total: 15

2 comments:

  1. Big fan of P.K. Subban. Easily my favorite Predator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, I even bought one of those jersey/t-shirts with his name and number on the back.

      If I go all in and get a real Preds jersey, he might be the one I go with.

      Delete