Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Goalies: Card Show Pickups

If there's one thing this latest card show did, its confirm my love of cards from the 90's. There were just so many cards back then and the focus was more on inserts and parallels than autographs and memorabilia like today.

Up first is one of the crazier die-cut sets from back then. This John Vanbiesbrouck is from 1997-98 Revolution and part of the Return to Sender insert set. It is die-cut in the shape of a stamp and probably has the most corners you'll ever see on a hockey card. The only thing bad about these is tyring to load them into a sleeve.


The second was Andy Moog pictured with the Montreal Canadiens.


The third was Grant Fuhr pictured with the St. Louis Blues.


Then there was this Curtis Joseph from 2001-02 MVP Masked Men. There is just something cool about the obnoxious green background pattern on this one, I just had to have it for my goalie collection. I just wish they were more of a closeup of the masks.


Going back to the 90's this Ice Breakers card of Martin Brodeur is from 1994-95 Pinnacle. I like how they make these guys look like giants with the cropped picture of an ice rink at the bottom. It took me a while to even notice that.


Here's another Brodeur from one of my favorite goalie themed sets of the 90's. This is a Black Ice version of his Stoppers card from 1995-96 Score. One day I'm hoping to build this version and the regular version of the Stoppers set.


This one isn't specifically a goalie set, but I really like the look of this Olaf Kolzig from 2005-06 Upper Deck Hometown Heroes. These cards are cool. They have an image of the player's home city and this one with the Capitol building is perfect since that was the Capitals primary logo at the time.


This UD Canvas card of Pekka Rinne stood out because of the great action shot of him making a great pad save. If only he was wearing Nashville's home yellow jersey. That would've stood out against the white ice a bit better.


This next one is a Braden Holtby Net Cam card from 2012-13 Score. I really like these sets and they are ones I would like to complete someday. This one is coll because you get an interesting look at the inside of the famous Madison Square Garden.


This one I bought just because of the mask. I always thought Vanbiesbrouck's Rangers mask with the bees and the city skyline was cool. I just wish this was more of a closeup shot of the mask. Click here for a better look at it.


This Ray Emery is from 2007-08 Upper Deck The Men Behind the Mask. As far as goalie themed inserts go, this is not of the best, but still fits in my collection of goalie cards so I grabbed it. They should have done something on the front showing him without the mask since that is the name of the set, right?


This Curtis Joseph comes from another one of my favorite goalie sets: In the Cage Net-Fusions from 2000-01 Pacific. I remember pulling one of these as a kid and thinking it was the coolest thing. I have a couple of them now so maybe I can start working on the set.


Here's another goalie themed set I'm a fan of. This Patrick Lalime is from 2002-03 Vanguard Stonewallers. Similar to the Score Stoppers set, this utilizes a brick wall design and is just a nice looking card overall. Gotta love Lalime's masks that always had Marvin the Martian.


Back to the 90's again with this Roaring Twenties insert from 1995-96 Pinnacle. This card is printed on a shiny, textured gold foil and looks awesome in person. It just happened to feature Jim Carey so I grabbed it for my goalie collection.


Last but not least we have this Felix Potvin Last Line of Defense insert from 2001-02 Upper Deck. I love the look of the black and purple on this one. Potvin also had some great looking gear, especially his custom pads that formed a cat when put together.


So that's all of the goalie randomness that I picked up at the show. There are definitely a lot of cool goalie themed sets out there. Maybe I'll pick a few of my favorites and work on completing those in addition to my other projects.

2 comments:

  1. Those Hometown Heroes look great in 8 pocket sheets, but they slide around a lot. Managed to finish the set a year or two ago.
    Still working on a lot of the early 2000's Pacific inserts like the Stonewallers. Love Pacific designs in that era...wish they were still puttin' 'em out. Upper Deck is getting bland...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy the 90's stuff, great pickups!

    ReplyDelete