Sunday, January 20, 2013

Box Break: 2012-13 Artifacts Blaster

Gotta love getting Christmas presents in late January. This past weekend while on vacation met up with a friend that I hadn't seen in a while. This landed me a blaster box of 2012-13 Artifacts, which was both unexpected and awesome. First, here's a look at the box.


As you can see above there were 8 packs in the box and 5 cards per pack. That means I should end up with 40 cards altogether. I wasn't expecting much more than 40 base cards, but was pleasantly surprised to end up with just 39 base cards. You'll see why in a bit.

Base:
Here's a look at my top nine base cards:


The first three were an obvious choice as my favorites. I really like the fact that they chose to picture Shanahan with the Wings as I will always remember him in the red and white. As far as the next three, Ovechkin is my favorite non-Red Wing, the old school North Stars jersey is just awesome, and I don't have many Bobby Orr cards so I figured why not.

The last three are a nice look at some of the different All-Star uniform designs. I love the 03-04 jerseys from Minnesota and the mid 90's turquoise and purple uni's were sweet. The last one is just awful though, not sure what they were thinking with these things recently.

Frozen Artifacts:
In addition to all the base cards, there was one hit in this box. This Frozen Artifacts featuring Jarome Iginla of the Calgary Flames was definitely a nice surprise in about the 6th pack of the box. The stated odds on these things for blasters is 1:80 packs.


All in all not a bad blaster. I really like the look of the base set and got some really cool cards for my Wings collection. Other than those Red Wings cards, everything is available for trade including the Iginla Frozen Artifacts. By the way, what do you think about 2012-13 Artifacts? Have you had any great luck with any packs or boxes?

3 comments:

  1. I don't mind it, actually I have always been a bit of a fan of Artifacts. My budget usually has me going after other things, but I typically buy a couple hobby packs. This season I have bought one so far and landed a dual Spezza-Anderson game used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I got ripped on mine. I love the set but in a blaster I got 39 base cards and 1 sapphire Jagr. I bought some more packs and maybe another blaster and every card after the first blaster was a double.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In artifacts pack, i had artifacts legends numbered, they are in my blog

    ReplyDelete