Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Thoughts: Sharing the Spotlight

Before I get into today's post, I just wanted to say thanks to anyone that has stopped by the blog, helping me get to the 100,000 view mark that I'm about to cross any day now. I can't believe I've gotten that many, but I guess that shows you this hobby is still very much alive.

Now that I have that out of the way, I've got another question for you player collectors out there and that is: do you mind when your PC guys shares cardboard with other players? Here's a look at what I'm talking about, at least in regards to my Howard collection:


When I come across these kinds of cards during my eBay searches, I tend to skip over them because there is just something about them that makes me not want to chase them as much as any other Howard card. Don't get me wrong, I do still want these cards as they do feature my main PC guy and I'll always welcome new cards, but for some reason I would always put a preference on cards of just Howard. 

What do you guys think about this? Am I in the minority here? I'm sure most of your player collections have plenty of cards that would fall into this category and I guess I'm just curious if I'm the only one out there that thinks like this.

6 comments:

  1. I don't mind chasing a card featuring my pc player and another guy although I find the price tag for a card like the asformentioned much higher than cards featuring only my pc player. I have my eye on a card now from the 2011-12 Donruss Elite set, "Passing the Torch" featuring a dual auto and my pc player - doesn't look like I'll be getting it for deal as a previous auction for the card that I saw online went for $60. And it's only a redemption card... Hopefully I can pick it up this time around for $20-30 less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it adds variety...which I'm a fan of. But like Brad mentioned it usually hikes up the price and sometimes in an unobtainable manner. For example if we take Brett's "Pen Pal" card featuring his guy Linden...if it was only a sig of Linden and no one else that card wouldn't be nearly as expensive as it is with Lemieux, Yzerman and Sakic...pros and cons to everything it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, it depends on who the other player is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it adds to the player collection in that you get to see other rival players or teammates. Cards like that tell more of the story behind your player.
    Though I agree that it can be discouraging when your guy is paired with a superstar. I collect cards of baseball's Charlie Keller (one of his relatives worked for my organization). He's got two double player cards in a certain set. One I got for $15 or $20 or something, the other is a bit tougher - he's paired with DiMaggio.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As long as the other player(s) featured on the card have some kind of relevant connection to the player I collect then I don't tend to mind. It's the ones that seem to be paired up just for the sake of slapping two or more guys on a card that drive me nuts.

    Congrats on the 100K by the way, hope to reach that milestone with my own blog one day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I find a Chris Chelios card that features another player on it, I will buy it if it is cheap enough.

    ReplyDelete