Monday, October 31, 2011

My Picks # 79: Jonas Hoglund

Happy Halloween! This pick is another one that's only here because of the photo on the front of the card, and it fits perfectly with the theme of dressing up as something different for just one night. It features something that you don't see everyday on base cards, and that would be a specialty jersey.

The card itself is a Jonas Hoglund of the Toronto Maple Leafs from the 2002-03 Topps set, although that's not the team he's playing for according to the jersey in the picture. It's actually a Toronto St. Pats jersey that was only worn for one game on February 14, 2002.


I love that they went with the brown pants, gloves, and helmets here as it just completes the look. One thing I do wonder is what the leafs goalie (I'm assuming it was still Cujo at that point) did as far as the brown equipment. Here's a better look at one of the jerseys from that game, courtesy of Third String Goalie.


By the way, here's a link to the post over at Third String Goalie that explains a little bit about the St. Pats and these jerseys. Take a look, it's definitely an interesting read, as always with TSG. Also, has anyone seen any other cards featuring these jerseys, this was the only one I found in my collection, although I think there were a few more from this set. 

2 comments:

  1. I don't know how he merited the start, but the goalie for that game was Sebastian (SeaBass) Centomo. Only game he played in the NHL.

    http://www.goaliesarchive.com/leafs/centomo.html

    ReplyDelete