Saturday, September 10, 2011

My Picks # 72: Johan Hedberg

I just noticed this is going to be my 300th post on Card Boarded. I was kind of surprised that I even made it to 100 posts, let alone this far. That said, I'd just like to give a quick thanks to everyone that's stopped by over the last 22 months.

Now that I've got that out of the way, I love goalie masks, and that's why I've got back-to-back picks featuring closeups of these works of art. The best about these cards is they are simple base cards, not a set focusing on the masks themselves, so it's kind of neat that the manufacturer chose these closeups over the usual generic 'action' images.

This one comes from 2003-04 Topps and features Johan Hedberg of the Pittsburgh Penguins.


Since this is one of my picks, lets look at the actual design of the card for a second too. This year, Topps went with a green border once again leaving plenty of room for great pictures like this one. I like the use of the gold foil as it provides a nice contrast with the border color.

Here are a few other incarnations of the Moose, beginning with the original of course:


Johan's got all kinds of different stuff here, everything from Indiana Jones to Spongebob Squarepants. My favorite is probably the Indy one, what about you guys? Are you fans of the Moose? And are you fans of goalies who carry a theme from one team to the next?

4 comments:

  1. I don't usually like the Devils or their colours, but Hedberg rocks it like no other with the Moose overshadowing the team's logo.

    And the Canucks one rocks too.

    ReplyDelete