Monday, August 8, 2011

My Picks # 65: Paul Kariya

This pick is yet another card that caught my eye when flipping through some of my base card binders recently. It's an Artist's Proof of Paul Kariya from 1997-98 Score. There's just something about this set I can't get away from (TTM's, Customs, etc.) maybe I should add a quaternary PC project to the sidebar. Now, that's a word you don't get to use everyday. 


This is another one of those instances where the scanner just cannot capture the true look of a card. Here it just looks like a funny shade of bluish-green, when in reality it's got so much more to it. For those of you that have one of these, you know what I'm talking about. 

Now, as far as the design. I touched on it in my last Cardboard Creations post, and all I really have to say is that simple is better. There's just something I like about the combination of simple text and nice geometric features. Sure, some of the photography isn't great, like this one, but I think it's a pretty cool set overall. 

Other than the obvious bluish-green tint, the only difference between this and the regular base card is the red foil "Artist's Proof" stamp in the lower left-hand corner. It's a nice touch as along with the full-color tint it helps differentiate the two cards from one another, too bad Panini didn't utilize something similar in their Pinnacle release this year.

2 comments:

  1. If you are looking for any cards from this Score set to complete, let me know! I have a bunch of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love me some Score Artist Proofs from the 90's... beautiful card. I'm going to try and hunt one down for myself.

    ReplyDelete