Saturday, April 23, 2011

My Picks # 58: Shjon Podein

Sometimes cards are cool because of the picture and overall design on the front of them, regardless of the player being featured. This Shjon Podein from 1997-98 Upper Deck is no exception. 

I've shown a few cards from this set in the past, and while it's not the best design in the world, I still like it. It's simple and leaves plenty of room for awesome photos like this one. 

As far as the picture itself, I love it. It's another one of those out of the ordinary shots, in this case another wide angle shot like the Messier I highlighted in my last pick.

It's kind of neat that the picture is such a good closeup that you can read Podein's name on the top of his glove. Other than that, this picture gives you an ice-level perspective of an NHL arena, something most cards don't even come close to doing. 

This just goes to show that it's hard to find better photography than in Upper Deck's main set year after year. I just wish all card companies put a little more effort into finding decent pictures for base cards, because after all, some people actually still collect base cards, although you wouldn't know it in this hobby anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment