Saturday, March 26, 2011

My Picks # 56: Detroit Red Wings

This will be the first of my picks to not focus on a card of a single player, as it is also the first checklist to make the list. Checklists are rarely seen, but once I found this one I had to make it my latest pick.


Specifically, this is a checklist for the insert sets that were part of the 1997-98 Donruss Canadian Ice set. Most checklists simply feature a single player or a generic action shot, but this one is different as it captures a great moment from Detroit's 1997 Cup run. 

It's kind of funny that a card that is supposed to be feature a Stanley Cup celebration picture nearly cuts out the Stanley Cup entirely. You can just barely see the top of the Cup on the lower left side.

Some of the faces in the picture I recognize right away include Vernon, Lapointe, Yzerman, Kocur, Maltby, and Kozlov. Those names take me back a little bit, as I was a kid just getting into hockey when the Wings brought home the Cup that year. 

I wish more checklist cards would have pictures like this. It's something you don't usually get to see on cards unless there's a specific set dedicated to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment