Friday, January 28, 2011

My Picks # 52: Ron Tugnutt

I haven't had much time for this blog lately, but I wanted to get another one of these posted while I have some time. This series is for any card, whether it's an epic hit or just a measly base card. This one would be the latter. It's a Ron Tugnutt from the 1995-96 Score set.


This is just another one of those cards that caught my eye when flipping through the pages in one of my many binders. I like when base cards have a closeup of a goalie's mask like this, it's something you don't see all the time.

First, let's look at the mask. I love the splash effect. It's unique and that's what goalie masks should be about, distinguishing themselves from the others.

What I like about this design is that he carried it over to other teams. Here are some of Tugnutt's other splash masks. As you can see they all have the same splash effect, accompanied by the team logo right on top and the team name up the two sides. 


Of these five similar mask designs, I would have to say the Columbus design looks the best simply because of the color combination. 

Other than Johan Hedberg and the Moose, I wonder how many other goalies carry their basic mask design from one team to the next like this? A few come to mind like Kolzig with his Godzilla mask in Washington and Tampa, or Lalime with his Marvin Martian masks, then there's Turco in Dallas and Chicago too. 

6 comments:

  1. Good call, how could I forget that one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did Moog carry his Bruins mask from one team to another?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Underrated masks from Tugnutt.

    I love that Habs card. It's in my mask card collection as well.

    Great stuff.

    Another one to add to the list is Garth Snow's 'Snowmonster' mask. He had it with Quebec, Vancouver and NYI at very least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The career of Ron Tugnutt is very dynamic. In his 16 years career he has played in many well known team. Really he is an excellent player. Now I miss his play so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Canadian's team is very lucky for Ron Tugnutt. He is a grate Goaltender. I like him so much.

    ReplyDelete