Saturday, October 23, 2010

My Picks # 44: Rod Brind'Amour

As I've been attempting to better organize my binders lately, I've come across quite a few more cards I thought were interesting for one reason another. This Rod Brind'Amour base card from 2001-02 Topps is one of the ones I'm referring to.

This is just an awesome action shot, taken right in the middle of a near breakaway opportunity for Brind'Amour. It's just that much better than you can see the entire Canes bench on their feet in the background, while all of the Islanders remain seated on their bench. 

As far as the actual design of the cards, its not too bad overall. When I first saw this set back when it came out, the blue border was definitely different to say the least, but when you look at it in relation to the rest of the card, it isn't so bad. The dots are a bit odd looking, but somehow they just work with the blue and the gold foil. 

One interesting thing with this and a few other sets I've seen is the lack of advertising on the boards. Most images on cards have it, but this one does not. I don't know if that is because Topps didn't want to provide 'free' advertising or if they just thought the cards looked better without the adds. Anyone have any ideas on this one?

1 comment:

  1. Many teams don't have ads on the boards for pre-season games. Probably because in the past most of these games were not televised.
    Just a guess.

    ReplyDelete