Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thoughts: Personalization

My recent influx of TTM successes has got me thinking about personalized autographs. Not one of them has been personalized. That's not necessarily good or bad, just something I noticed.

I've always been neutral toward personalization. On one hand, it's nice to have a neat and clean autograph that doesn't take up much space, especially on a card. On the other hand, it's nice to know that the person signing actually took some time to personalize it.

I can only think of two reasons an autograph would be personalized: either the person signing is actually trying to show some appreciation towards the fan or they don't want that same fan to simply turn around and try to sell the autograph just to make a quick buck.

I know there are people out there who would try and make the quick buck, I'm not one of them as I actually appreciate it when someone takes the time to sign something I've sent them through the mail.

How do you feel about personalized autographs?

3 comments:

  1. I'm all for it. I only send out maybe 20 requests a year. i only take the time to ask from people I really want an auto from. If I was one of those guys that sent out 30 or more a week, then i probably wouldn't care so much...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also usually end my fan letter with a line something like - if you personalize, can you make it out to ....

    then they know it's for me, and not ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great questions...

    I'm thinking about starting to send cards out for TTM autos... and I'd love it if everyone one of the athletes personalized them.

    These days there are so many forged autos that people would be crazy to buy TTM autographs anyways.

    ReplyDelete